Smokey Eye Kajal Liner in Black Amethyst by Bobbi Brown Review
By Contributor: Shruti
Recently I got an amazing opportunity to attend the makeup class by the very famous Eliano Bou Assi at the launch of the smokey eye kajal and smokey eye mascara at the Delhi store of Bobbi Brown. Thank you Anshita for not attending it! He used the liner to create an easy smokey eye look on the model. If smokey eyes give you heebeejeebees then this will make your task much simpler. Let’s review and swatch the kajal liner in the shade Black Amethyst.
Bobbi Brown Claims: A new take on tradition – Bobbi’s inspiration for this highly pigmented, incredibly blendable formula comes from classic kohl eyeliners. Her reason? This richly colored liner can be applied to the inner eye and lash waterline without tugging or pulling-plus, its uniquely soft texture creates a dramatic smokey eye in seconds. Comes in six super-saturated shades that blend quickly with the convenient dual-ended smudger.
Shades available: Black Coffee, Pacific, Black Amethyst, Jade and Storm
Packaging: The pencil is dual ended with a black body. It comes with a built in smudger on the other side of the pencil. The color and name of the shade is encoded on the pencil. It also comes with its own sharpener.
Texture: The texture of the pencil is oh my god so soft. It glides on like heaven. There is absolutely no tugging or pulling. The tip will break of even if a little pressure is applied. It blends with such an ease. It is made to blend and smudge even by a beginner.
Shade: Black amethyst is a deep eggplant purple which looks almost black in certain lights. All the shades in this range are deep so perfect for smokey eyes.
Pigmentation: The pencil is insanely pigmented. It scored full marks on pigmentation. One swipe for the usual eye-liner look is enough and to create that smokey and dramatic eye, 2 swipes would be enough. This way it will last me a long time.
Swatches in natural light
Staying power: The staying power is not much impressive. The liner starts to fade in 1-2 hours. It creases after 2 hours when used without a primer. With a good eye primer the staying power can be extended though.
I get rings on my eyelids the moment I open my eyes after lining my upper lash line. It smudges around my eye area after some time when I use it on my lower lashline. Also it made my eyes too watery when I lined my waterline. It doesn’t irritate much but lining your waterline if you wear contact lenses is not a good idea. Why oh why? Why?
Left: smudged, right: 2 swipes
How it looks on my eyes
the smudging around me eyes after an hour or so
Pros of Bobbi Brown Smokey Eye Kajal Liner Black Amethyst:
- Superb pigmentation. One swipe is enough for daily wear.
- Will last a long time since I don’t need to sharpen it regularly
- Comes with a smudger and sharpener.
- The shade is a pretty plummy black which suits my dark brown eyes a lot
- The texture is ooh so creamy. I have not used a liner which is THIS soft!
- Makes creating smokey eyes a child’s play. Now I need only 2mins in the morning for that soft smokey look without using many products.
Cons of Bobbi Brown Smokey Eye Kajal Liner Black Amethyst:
- Smudges and creases easily on my semi oily lids
- You definitely need a primer underneath
- Makes my eyes watery after a few hours
VNA Rating: 3.25/5
Overall: Bobbi Brown Smokey Eye Kajal Liner Black Amethyst is a gorgeous plum kohl. It smudges and blend beautifully to create those sexy and dramatic smokey eyes. However it is made only for smokey eyes
- Pink and Black Smokey Eye Look
- My Arabian Bollywood Look
- Sunset Inspired Eye Makeup
- Beach Inspired Eye Makeup
- How To Make Eyes Look Bigger
- Best Summer Eye Makeup Looks