Top 10 Yoga Asanas for Glowing Skin and Healthy Hair
Getting glowing is not that easy. You can use fancy highlighters to cheat that naturally glowing skin but when you don’t have healthy flawless skin, make up is not going to help you. With some healthy lifestyle changes we can get glowing skin. Hormonal changes and poor metabolism is going to show on your face. Proper food and work out can keep things under control and make you look like a healthy person. You can easily get the secret to healthy glowing skin like Shilpa Shetty by yoga and no, we don’t mean a magic to happen. Baba Ramdev has recommended these exercises again and again. With these powerful yoga poses for glowing beautiful skin you can flush out toxins from your body, clear acne and pimples from face, improve complexion, reduce skin dullness and get a youthful glowing skin.
It takes time and proper practice and dedication from mind. body and soul to achieve your goal. There are number of facial exercises to improve blood circulation on your face to make you glowing, in addition to those practice the below asanas to get amazingly glowing skin. You can opt for any kind of work out that suits you, yet yoga still has a special place. When did right yoga will directly work on the right place to relieve your troubles. Yoga has the solution for all your problems.
List of Top Ten Yoga Asanas for Glowing Skin
1. Padmasana – Lotus Pose:
When i was at school, we had a yoga class in our school and our yoga master used to tell us to always start yoga with Padmasana. That’s really true. Padmasana known as lotus pose helps you relax your body and preps up for the upcoming yoga series that you are about to do. Padmasana means “Lotus throne” (it also means actual thrones). When you look a picture of this asana or watch a video it might look easy but it is a very difficult position to do. When did right, Padmasana calms down your brain and relieves your stress making it amazing for healthy glowing skin. Padmasana also relieves menstrual pain. And the good thing about this yoga pose is that it can be practiced any time of the day. This asana also improve blood circulation for all over your body.
How to do Padmasana:
- Sit down on your yoga mat with your back straight
- Look forward held out both your legs
- Now bring your right knee to touch your left hip
- Bring your left knee to touch your right hip, your both the legs should be crossed against each other
- Place your both the hands in Dhyana mudra position on your thighs (as shown in the picture)
- Keep your back straight
- Take deep breathe in and breathe out
If your find placing both your legs in a crossed position to be difficult, start with one leg. Then slowly work with the other leg as much as you can reach. Trust me you will be there some day.
If you have knee pain then it is advisable to consult with your doctor before doing this asana.
2. Paschimottanasana – seated forward bend pose:
Paschimottanasana is intense stretching. Again this is a great pose for relieving your stress and keeping you calm. It purifies the blood, improves skin elasticity and reduces the wrinkles along with giving improving your skin complexion. It relieves your digestive disorder and constipation which benefits your skin. Poor digestive system often leads to dull looking skin. It also leads to acne at certain parts of your face. Paschimottanasana can regulate your digestive system giving you healthy looking beautiful skin. This asana also helps in increasing the height. It balances the menstrual cycles and tones the pelvic organs.
How to do Paschimottanasana:
- Sit down straight with your legs stretched out
- Place your right palm on the right knee and the left palm on the left knee
- Inhale, Now bend forward and try to catch your toes
- Bend the arm to touch the floor
- Exhale and stay in there for few seconds
- Return the previous position
- Repeat this 3 – 4 times
It is not easy to touch your toe in the first try (unless you practice yoga before or you a gymnast). Try to bend as much as possible. Try to move forward day by day to touch your toes.
Do not pull your legs or bend your knees while doing this pose. In my personal experience if you have sinusitis then bending forward can cause you giddiness or head ache.
3. Ustrasana – camel pose:
Ustrasana is a great pose to strengthen your spine. This yoga pose can work on your core muscles to get to you that flat tummy that you always wanted. Ustrasana improves the blow flow in your head which improves your skin and hair by removing toxins from the blood stream making skin radiant and glowing. It opens up your chest and improves hormone function which in turn benefits your skin. Ustrasana works in your abdominal organs and relieves from menstrual cramps.
How to do Ustrasana:
- Kneel down on the floor with your legs parallel to ground and back straight
- Move you thigh inwards and rest your hands on your hip with fingers pointing downwards
- Now bend your body to touch your heels lifting your chest upwards
- Stay in this position for a few seconds, don’t forget to inhale and exhale
- Repeat the course for 3 – 4 times
If you have trouble bending back try holding your hip for few days and slowly reach for your heels.
If you have undergone a knee surgery or if you have knee pain then it is not advisable to kneel down. If you have lower back pain then do consult your doctor before practicing this yoga. People with insomnia should avoid this as it improves the blood circulation in your head to keep you awake.
4. Dhanurasana – Bow pose:
This yoga pose resembles a bow and the hence the name bow pose. It is also called as upward wheel pose. Dhanurasana improves your total body flexibility and is a great fatigue buster. The pressure in your abdomen helps detoxifying your body thus resulting in great glowing skin. This asana also helps in losing weight. Again a very powerful yoga asana for healthy glowing skin.
How to do Dhanurasana:
- lie down with your back facing the ceiling and face touching the floor
- your palms should be open towards the ceiling
- lift your leg with hips touching the floor
- stretch your body and bring your hands to touch your ankle
- stretch your body with your abdomen firmly touching the floor
- come back to the staring position, repeat for 2 – 3 times
This asana works best when performed as exactly shown in the picture.
If you suffer from blood pressure (low or high) it is best to avoid this asana. Dhanurasana is to be strictly avoided if pregnant.
5. Sarvangasana – shoulder stand :
This is quite difficult, if you can see the picture you can understand. Sarvangasana is called supported shoulder stand or shoulder stand which improves the blood circulation in your head. This improves blood circulation helps in improving facial skin resulting in a glowing skin. If you practice this pose regularly, you can improve your overall skin texture also reduce pimples, wrinkles and dullness in your face.
How to do Sarvangasana:
- Lie down flat facing the ceiling
- Slowly lift your leg as much as you can
- Lift your hip as well and hold your back
Since this is pretty difficult you can practice support a wall for the first time and then slowly reach the original asana so as to reap the maximum benefits.
This pose is an absolute no if you have neck pain or whiplash. Also not recommended if you have blood pressure or if you are menstruating (this asana could affect your flow).
6. Matsyasana – fish pose:
Matsyasana is a backbend which can be done by beginners. One of the most beneficial yoga exercises for glowing skin, this asana opens up the chest and improves the blood circulation on your head. Matsyasana beats fatigue and menstrual pain. This asana is said to give you instant glowing skin since it improves blood circulation on your head also fights against bloating and indigestion.
How to do Matsyasana:
- Start with a padmasana position
- Bend back slowly with your head reaching the floor
- Lift your chest upwards with the top of your head touching the floor
- Hold on to this position for a few seconds
Legs can be pointed out if lying down on padmasana is difficult.
People with blood pressure or migraines should not perform this without proper medical supervision.
7. Halasana – plough pose:
Halasana is my favourite. If you have trouble sleeping this asana will definitely help you since it improves blood circulation of all over your body giving you calm and relaxed body which will reflect on your face and skin. This stress relief definitely helps to sleep well and voila!! You wake up with a beautiful glowing happy skin. Halasana also works on your core muscle to give you a toned abdomen.
How to do Halasana:
- Lie down flat with your head facing the ceiling and palm touching the ground
- Inhale and lift your legs off the floor to a 90 degrees
- Breathe normally and then lift your hip to take your legs far from your head reaching for the floor
- Hold on to this position for minute and come back to the previous position
This asana is very easy and gives you maximum benefits when done right.
Always be gentle and slow when doing this pose. If you have spinal disorder it is best to avoid this pose. Avoid on the first 2 days of your cycle or if pregnant.
8. Uttanasana – intense forward bending pose:
Uttanasana known as intense forward bending pose works on your core. It also improves blood flow on your face to give you that glow enhancing your complexion naturally. If you are a beginner then this quite difficult to do. It is advisable to take it slow. This is a very good stretching pose hence can be done at last of your yoga series.
How to do Uttanasana:
- Stand with your feet together
- Bend forward to touch the floor
- Keep your back straight and head press against your legs
- Keep your legs as straight as possible
Ardha Uttanasana is a variation where you keep hands on your ankles with your back perpendicular to the ground.
Not recommended for people with sinus and migranes.
9. Bhujangasana – cobra pose:
Bhujangasana will definitely keep you fit if you practice regularly. Its not just an effective pose in yoga for skin glow but also strengthens your spine and arms. This is one of the asanas in Surya namaskar series. Bhujangasana opens up your chest to increase the oxygen intake to add that natural glow to your skin. This also detoxifies and cleanses your body to get rid of pimples to give you a healthy skin.
How to do Bhujangasana:
- Lie down flat facing downwards with your palms near your head (shoulder space apart)
- Inhale with your head down
- Exhale and slowly lift your head up stretching your arms
- Slightly bend backward and stay there for 2 seconds
- Come back to the starting position
- Repeat for 10 times (advisable to slowly increase the count)
This pose is best when preformed as mentioned above.
Do not over bend your neck and back. Avoid if pregnant or has spinal injuries.
10. Shavasana – Corpse pose:
Shavasana by itself is not going to benefit you. This pose benefits you when you do it as a final pose of your yoga series. This is a relaxed pose that ensures that blood flows all over your body. This is a very good relaxing pose. It relieves your stress and makes your skin look healthy when practiced regularly
How to do Shavasana:
- Lie down flat on the floor
- Held out arms and legs in a ‘V’ shape
- Close your eyes and relax your body
- Take deep breathe in and breathe out
- Hold on to this position as long as you want
There are no variations found for this pose.
It is advisable to lie down in a relaxed position. If there is a discomfort in your position then this asana is not going to help you. If you encounter drowsiness avoid doing it.
Those were the best yoga asana that you can do get glowing healthy skin. Add 3 reps of Surya namaskar which is going benefit you in many ways. Yoga takes a little more time to show effects after all these are not topical application.
Image source: pinterest
- Yoga Asanas For Strong Feet
- Courses on Udemy for Weight Loss
- Exercises on How to Get Rid of Love Handles
- Benefits Of Turmeric For Skin
- Diamond Face Bleach Creams
- Juices for Skin Whitening