Rimmel Apocalips Lip Lacquer Nova Review and Swatches
By Contributor: Agnirupa Acharyya
So with the festive season going on I am right to say everybody has shopped and shopped till they have dropped? I have at least! And it does not help that so many different brands decide to launch new products or collections (dreaming of retro matte collection from MAC) or hold sales (The Body Shop am looking at you!) On top of it a crazy person like me can’t navigate away from blog sales either! So its not really surprising that my purse keeps singing..allah ke naam pe ek paisa de de! Well anyway enough of my blabbing ! I have a review and swatches of a very talked about product in blogosphere today for you all. Rimmel Apocalips in Nova.
Rimmel Claims: These are a satin finish liquid lipstick formula.
1. Stargazer – fine golden shimmer
2. Nude Eclipse- pale beige nude
3. Phenomenon – pale pinky beige nude
4. Solstice – mauve toned rose with fine peach shimmer
5. Celestial – dusty pink
6. Nova – bubblegum pink
7. Apocalyptic – magenta pink
9. Stellar- bright neon red.
The colour Nova is a vivid oh-so pretty cool toned bubblegum pink to match your summery neon outfits– the perfect compliment for neon bags and nail paints or a random neon top! It totally spells out flirty, fun and girly for you and though it does tend to look a bit off on duskier complexions, it looks superb on fair-medium Indian ladies. It is madly pigmented and opaque and 1 swipe across both my lips is absolutely enough to deliver a bright, satin opaque color. It looks quite glossy at first then gradually settles to a lovely satin finish which over time can be a bit drying but since I do not have very dry lips I faced no issue as such.
Nova being such a vivid color wears a decent amount of time on my lips before fading gradually into a bright pink stain. It lasts easily through 2.5-3 hours and survives light snacks!
The texture is very similar to the nyx soft matte lip creams! It is soft, light, smooth, non sticky and easy to apply with the wand and does not emphasize fine lines on lips or dry patches.
The Rimmel Apocalips only scores low with its smell. I dunno how to describe it accurately but it sure isnt what you want your lips to smell like. Its chemically, dusty, kind of oldy-moldy smell which is an instant turn-off.
The packaging of the lip lacquer is very gloss like- in a stylish, black opaque color coded tube with a very convenient spongy applicator to pick the right amount of product. The opaque tube makes it difficult to see the amount left though.
Here is how Nova looks on my lips – lip swatches taken in natural light and flash
My lip swatch gallery of Rimmel Apocalips in Nova in different lights
The pros of Rimmel London Apocalips Lip Lacquer Nova:
- Stylish gloss like tube packaging with a very useful spongy applicator which picks up the right amount of product.
- The texture is very soft, light and smooth and applies like a dream on my lips without dragging or tugging
- The pigmentation is opaque and mind blowing which needs just a single swipe to completely cover both my lips in the actual color seen in the tube!
- The color nova is soo pretty and fun- the perfect blue toned bubblegum pink to go with casual and chic looks the in vogue lime/mint jeans and neon shoes
- Being highly pigmented the apocalips lasts for quite a long time on lips and withstands light food and drinks for 2.5-3 hours J
- Non sticky, non gloopy.
The cons of Apocalips:
- Unavailability. I wish it came to us more easily rather than the complicated route through foreign residing relatives or uncertain websites!
- The chemically moldy smell.
Price: 5.99 GBP and not available here in India!
VNA Rating: 3.5/5
Do I recommend? Rimmel London Apocalips Lip Lacquer Nova is not even available here in India so its kinda cruel to recommend! But if you have any willing relatives abroad or obliging friends make sure to ask them to bring atleast 2. I madly want the nude eclipse, celestial and stellar (koi mujhe la ke de do!) The formula is classy and beautiful- satin finish which settles into a lip cream finish and stays long..vibrant color, amazing shades! Nothing really to stop us from pouncing on these lip lacquers except for their elusiveness.